Blue wooden door sculpture by artist Santhana Krishnan
This artwork revolves around the entrance of a home…the doors
This door sculpture is an outstanding work by artist Santhana Krishnan. Santhana works are interactive through his realistic aesthetic, exploring the concept and metaphor of the door. His works are tactile inviting the viewer to reach out to touch and feel, to be sensitive to the emotions and feelings embodied within it. This door speaks volumes. It can either be wide open inviting you in with warmth and happiness or it can be closed or hide a million secrets. A door says words that man cannot say. Some of his doors open into an interior with tulsi tharas in the inner courtyards with milk cans, kerosene lamps, wooden boxes, clothes drying …faint white numbers and letters on the doors are clues about the inhabitants of those residences. The corporation numbers, ward numbers, electricity board connection numbers. Some of his closed doors with a huge lock show faded house numbers and painted advertisements. Through this doors , the artist want to depict the lives of the people living behind these doors. The visual of his works are audible establishing that interactivity which engages the mind to create a dialogue, thus providing a spatial magic something rich and strange, extraordinary, creative and exhilarating.
Santhana Krishnan works are interactive through his realistic aesthetic, exploring the concept and metaphor of the door. His works are tactile inviting the viewer to reach out to touch and feel, to be sensitive to the emotions and feelings embodied within it. The visual aside, his works are audible establishing that interactivity which engages the mind to create a dialogue, thus providing a spatial magic something rich and strange, extraordinary, creative and exhilarating. Thus the passive translates to active and the artist through the mediation of paint and mixed media allows the viewer to interact and mould the experience into something that he wants it to be.
Doors, therefore has vehemently contoured the identity of the artist. Says the artist, “My passion for representing doors through the visual medium is to keep alive our heritage and tradition. Equally my intensity of my approach towards this theme demands that I be recognized as “Door Santhanam”.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA),Bharathidasan University ,Government College of Arts & Crafts [1993 -1998], Kumbakonam.
- Master of Fine Arts (MFA), Madras University,Government College of Arts & Crafts [1998-2000], Chennai.
- 2012 : Traveling Doors , Kynkyny Art Gallery, Bangalore.
- 2011 : Focus art Gallery, chennai.
- 2010 : Art Singapore 2010, suntec city, Singapore.
- 2008 : Open Doors , Art smartagallery in Trivandrum.
- 2008 : beyond the threshold lalit kala akademi in chennai.
- 2006 : The Doors ,focus gallery in chennai.
- 2002 : Doors of India, Manasthala Art Gallery in Chennai.
- 2012 : Beeja, Ayatana Gallery, Pune
- 2010 : Ways of Life ,Shrishti Art Gallery in Hyderabad.
- 2008 : Travel India ,Shrishti Art Gallery in Hyderabad.
- 2004 : Art Expressions ,Karnataka Chithrakala Parishath Art Gallery in Bangalore.
- 2003 : Visions of India, Palazzo Art Gallery in Chennai
- 2012 : Indian Contemporary Art Exhibition,Pravasi Bharatiya Divas , School of Fine Arts Gallery, Moka,
- 2012 : Resonance, Dhoomimal City Gallery, New Delhi
- 2012 : Joint India & Vietnam artistic show, Hanoi, Vietnam.
- 2010 : Art aids Show in Park Sherton, Chennai & Muse art gallery, Marriott, Hyderabad.
- 2010 : Dakshin in Kynkyny Art Gallery, Bangalore.
- 2010 : Art Smart Collection in Art Smart A Gallery, Trivandrum.
- 2010 : Southern Scapes in Grand Trunk Road Gallery, Singapore.
- 2010 : 18 BY 18 Apparao Gallery, Chennai.
- 2010 : Art Taipei 2010 in Taiwan.
- 2010 : Art Bengaluru Contempary Art Festival,UB City, Bangalore.
- 2009 : SMALL IS BEAUTIFUL in kynkyny Art Gallery in Bangalore.
- 2009 : Art Smart Collection in Travancore Art Gallery in Delhi.
- 2009 : Indian Art Exhbition in Capital Art Gallery in Taipei, Taiwan.
- 2009 : Madras Week Celebration show in Dakshinachitra Art Gallery in Chennai.
- 2009 : Shrishti Art Gallery in Calicut.
- 2009 : JSL Auction & co. Show in Taipei, Taiwan.
- 2009 : Miles Apart in Point of View Gallery in Mumbai.
- 2008 : Indian art in Capital art centre in Taipei, Taiwan.
- 2008 : Enduring images in Athreyaa art gallery in chennai.
- 2007 : Hues of south in Karnataka Chithrakala Parishath in Bangalore.
- 2007 : Hues of south in Vinnyasa Art Gallery in Chennai.
- 2007 : mfd : may 07 collaborative project show in museum gallery in mumbai.
- 2006 : Hues of south show in museum gallery in mumbai.
- 2002 : Mamallapuram Group Show in Manasthala Art Gallery in Chennai.
- 2000 : Russian Cultural centre in Chennai.
- 1999 : Thuriga - III Chitram Art Gallery in Cochin.
- 1999 : M.F.A Students shows Lalit Kala Academy in Chennai.
- 1998 : Thuriga - I search through medium in Kumbakonam.
- 1998 : Thuriga - II Karnataka Chithrakala Parishath Art Gallery in Bangalore.
- 1997 : Futurist , Karnataka Chithrakala Parishat in Bangalore.
- 2000-04 : Group show in Vinnyasa Art Gallery in Chennai.
- 2002 : Dilli haat Group Show in New Delhi.
- 2001 : 21st International Mini Print Exhibition in Spain.
- 2000 : GEMS 2000, Multiple sclerosis society of India at Park Sheraton, Chennai.
- 1999 : KAMG Art Auction in Aid of Orissa Cyclone Relief Fund- Taj Group of Hotels, Chennai
- 1999 : 19th International Mini Print Exhibition in Cadaques, Barcelona.
- 1998 : India Independence Golden Jubilee Show.
- 1998 : South zone cultural centre in Tanjore.
- 1997 : 50th year of Art in Independent India Exhibition, AIFACS & Lalit Kala Academy in Chennai.
- 1997 : All India Fine Arts & Crafts society National Exhibition 50 Years of Art in Independent India, New Delhi.
- 1996-02 : Tamilnadu Oviya Nunkalai Kuzhu state Exhibition in Chennai.
- 1995 : South central zone cultural centre in Nagpur.
- 1995 : Squeal 95' Art Exhibition in Kumbakonam.
- 1993-96 : South zone cultural centre in Chennai.
- 2000 : State Award given by Tamilnadu Ovia Nunkalai Kuzhu & Lalit Kala Academy in Chennai.
- 1997 : Appreciation Award given by Directorate of Art andCulture.
More Products from Santhana Krishnan